Leith has for centuries acted as the port of Edinburgh and remains one of Scotland's larger ports. The modern harbour is located in South Leith, but with the distinctive break-waters enclosing its entrance to the north west.
Port of Edinburgh, Scotland
Leith is the largest enclosed deepwater port in Scotland and has the capability to handle handymax ships up to 50,000 DWT. The port offers a full stevedoring and cargo handling service.
Port of Leith, Scotland
The original harbour, which dates back to the 14th C., was a simple anchorage at the mouth of the Water of Leith. Docks were constructed from the early 17th C, but these suffered encroachment by sand bars. John Rennie (1761 - 1821) identified a lack of deep water and was asked to propose a scheme to overcome the problems. His docks, which lay to the west of the river, were begun in 1800. The original gateway is preserved in Dock Place, beside the Leith Customs House, although the docks here, which were built c.1852 are now ornaments within the redeveloped Victoria Quay complex. Following Victoria, came the Albert and Imperial docks built through until c.1880. To the east, the Edinburgh Dock was completed in 1881. Beginning in 1936, a vast area of deep water, which lay to the west towards Newhaven, was enclosed by immense break-waters to create the Western Harbour, completed 1943.
Grain handling facilities remain at the Imperial Dock and on the Western Harbour at the Chancelot Mills (built 1954) which, together with Rank-Hovis Caledonia Mills, are grain processing and milling plants. A deep-water lock was built across the harbour entrance in 1968.
Redevelopment from the early 1990s, which claims to have resulted in the largest water-front development in Europe, includes the Scottish Executive building at Victoria Quay, desirable residential dwellings, retail and leisure facilities, including the Ocean Terminal complex, which incorporates the permanent berth of the Royal Yacht Britannia. Amongst these developments are the Victoria Swing Bridge and the Albert Dock, which is at least partly ornamental, with new office developments on its southern margin, although a hydraulic crane, which was the first in Scotland, survives at its eastern end.
Port of Glasgow, Scotland is part of Clydeport.
Clydeport’s operational division runs the key ports of Glasgow, Greenock, Ardrossan and Hunterston, as well as services in Rosyth and the joint venture facility in Fort William, Corpach. This encompasses all manning operations involved in stevedoring, port agency, warehousing, estuary control, hydrographical survey work, buoy and navigational aid maintenance, engineering maintenance, safety, environment and project management.
Specialist facilities include deep-water berthage, purpose-built container facilities, cruise ship docking, forest product and bulk handling.
In addition to our core facilities we also offer a range of marine services which include Inchgreen dry dock in Port Glasgow, James Watt Dock at Greenock, deep-water anchorage at Loch Striven, construction and dry dock facilities at Hunterston and marina and ro-ro facilities at Ardrossan.
Peel Ports operates the Port of Glasgow and other ports.